Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fear Factor


Sunday we begin our new series called Real Life. You know God has a great dream for our lives. He wants to use us for incredible things in His Kingdom. Dreams are great things to have. Hopefully you have one. The only problem is that sometimes real life can get in the way of our dreams. Sometimes real fears, and real failures can hold us back from our God given dreams. Sometimes just the business of life and all that we have to do can distract us from our dreams. In this series we are going to be taking a look at a few of my favorite reality shows, and seeing how we can really live out God's dreams in the midst of Real Life.



This Sunday we are going to be looking at Fear Factor. We are going to be looking at how we can overcome the fears that hold us back from just going for it in life. Whether it be the fear of failure, or the fear of taking a risk, or the fear of that others might say or think. Fear can hold us back, but the Bible says that "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love and power and a sound mind."




In order to illustrate overcoming your fears. I took a little trip over to Dallas, to a place called Zero Gravity. I decided to overcome a few of my fears. The fear of heights, the fear of falling and ultimately the fear of death. In order to overcome these fears, I experienced a 110 ft free fall from a 16 story tower. No bungy chord, or anything like that. Nothing but net. It was pretty scary.




I will be showing you the video of that experience on Sunday, but I thought I would give you a little preview today, so check out the picture.


4 comments:

Adam said...

I wouldn't say I'm a fearful person, but I don't like to do things that I won't excel at. I've been working on different areas of my life and one of them is fear. I've always thought I had a fear of failure. Then one day I was talking with my uncle who deals with "emotional intelligence" and he asked me "what is your definition of failure?" I said "Not accomplishing a goal or not succeeding." He told me the problem was in my definition of failure. If we look at life as a life long journey, which we all should, then the only way you can fail is if you don't try. That has really helped me. I love you guys and miss yall. Wish we could be there for all the exciting things going on. Keep us in your prayers.

Rhettro said...

Adam,
We wish you guys were here too! I have to agree with you. I don't know that i am a fearful person either, but I love what your Uncle told you about failure. Thanks for the encouraging word Bro!

James Like said...

I have been dealing with some fear for quite some time. For some of you this will come as a shock. I can get up in front of hundreds of people and speak. I can talk your ear off and even the ears of complete strangers. But when it comes to calling people asking for business or offering help to them, it is tough for me. I am afraid to talk with strangers about real estate. I am with Adam though. If I don't try, I won't ever get past the fear. I have already been planning something this week. Tomorrow I am taking my first step. I am going to make a bunch of phone calls and even knock some doors. Thanks for your prayers.

Rhettro said...

We are praying for you James!