Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness part 3

We have been talking about the pursuit of happiness. Happiness is never caught, but it can come to us when we live according to God’s word. How do we learn to be happy? How do we receive the joy of the Lord?

We have to choose to be happy, but we also have to consider others before ourselves.

Happiness is found when we get our eyes off of ourselves and on to others.

The happiest people in the world are those who serve others. There are people who give up nice homes and good jobs and expensive cars to go to poverty stricken countries and serve as missionaries. Many of them will tell you the times that they have the most joy are when they are serving and ministering to those less fortunate.

There is no I in happy. There is also no I in joy. These things come when we are selfless, when we put others first, when we serve.

In John 13, Jesus set an example for the disciples when he considered them before himself and washed their feet. Then look what He says in John 13:7 just after washing their feet “And now that you know these things, you will be happy if you do them.”

Jesus set the example for living a joy filled life. Serve others and you will have joy.

1 comment:

James Like said...

It does bring me great joy when I am able to help the less fortunate. It is especially great when they are thankful that you are helping them. I am learning to be happy within whatever circumstances I have to go through and learning to be happy with the things I have. I heard someone say if you are making around 30-50k every year you are on of the top 10-15% richest people in the world. When I hear that, it makes me even more thankful. It also makes me want to share with the other 85%.