Friday, August 29, 2008

The Miracle of the Moment

Psalm 144:4 says "For man is but a breath, his days are like a passing shadows."

Our lives are so short, yet we try so hard to hurry them along. We can't wait to get where we are going and before we know it, they have come and gone, and we have wished them away. I have been like that many times in my life. I have said things like, I can't wait to go on vacation, or I can't wait until Christmas, or I can't wait until football season, or whatever. Before I know it that moment has come and gone, and I have missed it. There is nothing wrong with looking forward to something, but sometimes when we are continually wishing were were somewhere else we miss out on the right here and now.

Steven Curtis Chapman has a great song called the Miracle of the Moment. He says "We are who and where and what we are for now, and this is the only moment we can do anything about, so breath it in and breath it out listen to your hearbeat. There's a wonder in the hear and now. It's right there in front of you and I don't want you to miss the miracle of the moment."

As we get ready to start this One Month to Live challenge, lets think about how short our lives are, let's stop wishing them away, and let's experience the miracle of each moment.

3 comments:

Pump Dude said...

Amen. With how strenuous things have been at work lately I'm always more than ready for the weekend. However, I know there's been many times where I've missed out on opportunities where God was trying to teach me something, open a door for witnessing or allowing things to happen for me to praise Him. Having tunnel-vision or blinders to the here and now, the open-your-eyes-to-what's-right-in-front-of-you moments unfortunately causes us to miss out on so many things.
With me personally, when I come home during the week after a stressful day there are many times where all I'm thinking about is how to make it through to the weekend. However, when I feel that way I miss out on fully enjoying my wife, my kids, my Lifegroup and my relationship with God since I'm not giving them 100% of me.
Good stuff as always! It's tantamount to spiritual smelling salt that stirs our slumbering souls. Yes, that alliteration masterpiece was just for you, Padre....

Chad Benson said...

that was awesome amazing and awe inspiring alliteration :)

Pump Dude said...

Likewise!